This holiday season brings to mind a nice side dish I have enjoyed for decades. It reminds me of past family dinners as well as a celebration of autumn harvests. This dish provides us with much-needed carotenoids/vitamin A, fiber and minerals. It also provides calories for enduring those cold winter nights. And yes, “yam” is a misnomer as sweet potato is not a yam – it just is more fun to say it that way.
Yams and Apples
- 1 whole sweet potatoes orange
- 1 whole granny smith apple or other type – sour apple
- 1 whole honey crisp apple or other type – sweet apple
- 1 cup apple juice organic if possible
- 1/4 stick butter sliced into pads
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground or 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg ground
- Peel the potatoes and apples. Remove cores from apples. Cut both potatoes and apples into approximately 1”-2” blocks or chunks. Mix together and add them to a buttered baking dish. To that add enough apple juice to cover mixture. Gent
- Gently stir in the spices and then top the mix with the pads of butter.
- Place in an oven at 325F for around 45min-1hour. It is ready when potatoes are soft but not mushy.